A land of misty mountains, azure lakes and rugged coastal scenery, the province of British Columbia is a pretty romantic place without even trying! Having said that, there are a number of places we have visited in BC over the years that definitely score higher in the romance department. Here are our favourite romantic getaways in BC, Canada. Where will you take your partner?
wine tasting on the Naramata bench
Enjoy your own little piece of Italy in British Columbia on the Naramata Bench. Local wine, amazing views, warm weather and good company – what else could you ever need for perfect romantic getaway in BC? Located a short drive from Penticton, the Naramata Bench is one of BC’s premier wine regions.
Overlooking rolling mountains and Okanagan Lake, the wineries here offer what must be the prettiest vineyard views in the world. Staying at a local B&B is one of the best ways to enjoy this special place. Wake up with views of the lake, wander the vineyards and tour the wineries, picking up some local produce as you go. Return to the B&B and bask in the sun, eating and drinking as the sun goes down.
- Keen cyclists should definitely bring their bikes! The Kettle Valley Railway trail snakes along the Naramata Bench
- If visiting at the weekend, definitely don’t miss the Penticton Farmer’s Market. It’s one of the biggest in BC!
storm watching in Tofino and Ucluelet
Whatever the time of year (or weather), the small coastal towns of Tofino and Ucluelet on Vancouver Island have everything you would expect for a cosy couples trip away. Well known for rain, it’s the perfect excuse to stay inside and have some quality Netflix time. When the rain stops, enjoy sunset walks on the beach, discover old growth forest, visit a lighthouse, go whale watching or try some local seafood.
In winter, the Pacific coast is famous for raging storms. Hunker down with a bottle of wine or two and watch the waves roll in from the hot tub at your beachside hotel or cottage. Can romantic getaways in BC get any better than this?!
- How about a couples’ surf lesson? Rain or shine, surf lessons are available in Tofino all year round
- On the way to Tofino/Ucluelet, be sure to stop at Cathedral Grove to walk amongst the amazing old growth trees
fun on the slopes at a bc ski resort
A cosy cabin covered in snow, skis propped outside the door, a fire crackling away inside…..I don’t know about you, but it sounds pretty perfect to me! Whether you rent a cabin or a condo, a ski resort holiday has plenty of potential for romance, even if you don’t ski.
There are plenty of other options for fun in the snow, such as snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, ice climbing, snow tubing and more. Whistler even has a thermal spa and year-round ziplines. Whatever you get up to during the day, don’t forget to make time for apres-ski drinks or fondue in front of the fire!
- Check AirBnB and VRBO for places to stay, not just the resort’s own accommodation service
- Whistler is BC’s biggest ski resort but there are other great options out there! Head to one of the smaller resorts (Apex, Mount Washington, Red, Panorama) for a cosier feel
camp out under the stars in bC’s backcountry
With a little bit of effort, it’s easy to find your own private island or lake for a romantic getaway. British Columbia’s wilderness has endless opportunities for camping out under the stars. For a first time experience, try E.C. Manning Provincial Park, Cathedral Lakes or Desolation Sound. In the latter, we camped for three nights without seeing another person.
Our little island paradise offered two beaches, plenty of oysters, wonderful sunsets and just a couple of local seals for company. For those wanting some more home comforts, consider heading to one of the many backcountry lodges or cabins on offer.
- Frontcountry camping can be romantic too! Check out the BC Parks website for vehicle accessible campground details
- Planning to have a campfire? Remember to follow campfire rules and restrictions and check for a campfire ban before you leave
soak in hot springs
Can there be anything more relaxing or romantic than a soak in hot springs with your significant other on a winter’s evening? British Columbia has a whole host of hotsprings on offer, from luxurious modern resorts to more natural options. For a mix of both, try Halcyon Hot Springs near Nakusp. The hot pool overlooks moody Arrow Lake and jagged Mount Thor. Choose from a variety of cabins and cottages, all with free use of robes to wear to and from the springs. Another favourite for a romantic getaway would be Liard Hot Springs, near the Yukon border. Set into a lush boreal forest, Liard provides the most natural hot springs experience in BC without a long hike or boat ride in.
- A day trip to Hot Springs Cove on the Pacific Coast is a great add-on for those on a Tofino or Ucluelet getaway
- Go hot springs hopping for the ultimate experience! BC’s Kootenays region has a number of vehicle-accessible hot springs all within reasonable distance to each other (Ainsworth, Nakusp, Halcyon)
fine dining and entertainment in vancouver
If it’s fine dining, high-rise views and city luxuries that bring you together, head for Vancouver. It’s hard to beat the award-winning restaurants on offer in the city alongside the multitude of different cuisines available. For something extra special for your romantic getaway in BC, consider taking the gondola to the top of Grouse Mountain and dine at Vancouver’s highest restaurant. Or how about catching a show at the deceptively grand Orpheum Theatre on Granville Street? In true Vancouver style, combine great food with the outdoors and take a trip to Stanley Park for a hand-in-hand walk along the seawall after brunch.
- Combine your city break with an afternoon of skiing at one of the local mountains. Not a skier? Try a snowshoe and fondue evening at Cypress Mountain
- Upgrade the classic dinner and movie date night with a trip to the drive-thru movie theatre in Langley, one of three left in British Columbia
relax on the sunshine coast
For a (usually) less stormy alternative to Vancouver Island, try the Sunshine Coast. It is less of a haul from Vancouver for a romantic getaway in BC but the ocean views are just as wonderful. Get off the main highway to discover small fishing villages and relaxing lakeside cottages with your loved one. Our cabin AirBnB (never used AirBnB before? Sign up via this link and get $40 off your first stay) near Sechelt was perched on a calm inlet, with sea to sky panoramas from the salt water hot tub. On the private floating dock, we fished, swam and sunbathed all day long. If we had felt more adventurous (read: less lazy), we could have paddled explored tiny islands and intricate bays with our kayaks. Paradise!
- The Sunshine Coast has some great local produce to sample, such as Brickers Cider in West Sechelt
- If you have more time, consider completing a circular route – first, take the ferry over to Vancouver Island (Powell River to Comox) and then back to the Lower Mainland via Departure Bay, Nanaimo.