Two years ago today I became a Permanent Resident of Canada! It was a very happy day for both Jean Robert and I – it meant we were now able to live in Canada together as long as like.

A Permanent Resident is an immigrant who can live in Canada permanently but cannot vote, run for political office or have a Canadian passport. After a certain amount of time as a PR, they can apply for become a citizen and then do all of the above should they wish. There is also one very important obligation that PRs have – they have to live in Canada for at least two years of every five to keep permanent residency status (though there are some exceptions).

becoming a permanent resident of canada

This is the story of how I became a Permanent Resident of Canada. It is not an advice piece; I plan to write another post with more details on the actual application process. In the meantime, you are welcome to leave a comment below with questions. 

Gemma top of Rake Mountain TombstoneClimbing mountains in the Yukon the summer after gaining Permanent Residency

A long working holiday

November 2011 – Jean Robert and I had just finished a three-month road trip around Europe and headed to British Columbia in the hopes of perhaps working in a ski resort for a year or so. Only six months later (after a successful season snowboarding and working at Vancouver Island’s Mount Washington) we were getting into the swing of BC life and started to wonder if we would be both able to stay longer.

As a British citizen, I could apply (at the time) for two one-year working holiday visas, one of which I was already half way through, and the other I had already applied for. Once I activated the second, we would then be on a ticking clock for departure. I knew it was very unlikely I would be able to get a visa via work sponsorship as my job was minimum wage and limited to the winter season.

Why don’t you just get married?

As a Plan B, I started to research what options there were for partners of Canadian citizens. I found out pretty quickly that applying for Permanent Residency was an option for both married and common-law couples. And what does ‘common law’ mean, you may ask? According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), it means living with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months in a relationship like a marriage.’

Well, this changed everything. By this point we had lived together for over two years, so we were set. Throughout the application process, I actually had many people ask me why we didn’t get married to make things easier and here is the answer – it doesn’t necessarily make the process any faster as applications from married and common law couples are considered together.

desolation sound by canoe approaching curme islands


Fast forward to the start of winter and we made the decision to go ahead with the application. It is not something to be taken lightly as the costs are certainly not low (we spent $2500 total, fees, paperwork, photos and medical all in) and it takes time to put the actual application together. In our case, it took approximately two months from when I first looked at the documentation checklist on CIC’s website to actually putting our application in the mail.

Both married and couple law couples have to prove that their relationship is ‘loving, ongoing and genuine’ for their application to be approved. As a common law couple, we also had to prove that we had been living together as if we were married (shared bank accounts, paying bills together, mail at the same address). This means there is a LOT of gathering of documentation that must be done even before any forms have been filled out.

A kilogram of paper

Proving the living together bit was actually harder than the loving/ongoing/genuine part for us (we used photos and letters from family for this), even though we had lived together for almost the entirety of our relationship! To cut a long story short, we were never really ‘officially’ living anywhere together until a few months before we put in the application – no tenancy agreements, few bills paid together, no shared bank account. Jean Robert didn’t even HAVE a bank account when we lived in the UK (another long story).

A good part of our application, therefore, consisted of any vaguely official documentation I could find that had both of our names on it. Car insurance that we had for six months, flights to Canada booked together, wedding invitations with both our names on, library cards listed at the same address, even matching stamps in our passports from our trip to Europe! We opened a shared bank account ASAP, got a copy of our current tenancy agreement, signed the ‘statutory declaration of common-law union’ and hoped that was enough.

Our application ended up as a one-kilogram paper monster – I wish I had taken a photo.

rim trail jr gemma cathedral

The long wait and a potentially risky trip home

>When applying for PR via the common law/spousal sponsorship route, the applicant can either file inland or outland. Outland means the application is processed outside of Canada, in the applicant’s home country or nearest processing office. Inland means processing happens in Canada – for this, the applicant must be living in Canada throughout the application. Outland is usually faster than outland (depends on the visa office) BUT with the inland process, a work permit can be applied for, allowing the applicant to work while waiting.

I applied inland as I wanted the work permit – problem was, processing times were delayed and instead of receiving it six months into the application, I was advised it would be a year or more. Turns out it didn’t matter so much anyway as the ski resort I was working at experienced the worst winter in years and was closed much of the season. I decided to take an opportunity to go home to the UK, my first visit in over two years. I was taking a risk in leaving the country while having an inland application in process, but by then I had my work permit and felt it was unlikely I would be refused entry.

So close, yet so far

While in the UK, I found out that a decision had been made on my application. A little after my return to Canada (I had no trouble getting back in), I received a letter stating that I would be granted PR, but had to wait for an interview in Vancouver. And here lies another downside of an inland application – rather than enter Canada at any border (airport, land or ferry) like an outland applicant would do, to receive my PR I would have to ‘land’ at an immigration office instead.

The waiting time to land at the Vancouver office (my nearest landing office) was six months. Ouch. I was grateful that my application had been processed reasonably quickly (11 months compared to the expected 18) but to wait another six months just for a formal ‘landing’ seemed ridiculous.

Ridge hiking on Grizzly Lake Trail in Tombstone Territorial Park

Landing in Vancouver

The awful ski season we were experiencing at Mount Washington led us to bump up our summer road trip plans. Our adventure was to take us all over BC and the Yukon, with little internet or phone signal along the way. We would also be leaving our last address permanently. It would, therefore, be very difficult for CIC to contact us about an interview.

Knowing that CIC’s call centre was likely to be fairly useless on the subject, I wrote a letter to the Vancouver landing office to explain the situation. I did include a note that I knew that going on a road trip wasn’t the most desperate of circumstances, but I would appreciate any help at all.

The day my letter arrived the office, we received a phone call from a CIC agent who asked if we could come in the following Friday for a landing interview. We couldn’t believe it. I honestly didn’t think it was legitimate until we got to the CIC office on Friday and my name was called. After a couple of formalities and some signatures, I landed and become a Permanent Resident!

But wait, there’s more

My PR story isn’t quite over. As a Permanent Resident, you have a PR Card as identification, essential when returning to Canada from abroad and for other things like signing up for health care. When landing inland, an automatic request for a PR card is sent. It took four months to receive my PR card – something that was especially frustrating when it came to my driver’s license, which they wouldn’t renew for the full five years until I had it.

big white snowshoeing 2015 dec

Return of the waiting game

Just over six months after receiving my PR card, we went on a trip to Europe and had all of our belongings stolen in Italy. It was a bad situation already, but my still-new PR card was amongst the stolen items too. I was cross-questioned when returning to Canada and applied for a new card as soon as I could. That was in June 2015. I finally received my card after an interview in Vancouver in June 2016. 

The road to citizenship

I plan to apply to become a citizen as soon as I can (mainly to avoid further PR card issues!) Until last year, I would have been able to apply right around this time – Spring 2016. Unfortunately, the rules changed and now require Permanent Residents to live in Canada for longer before applying to become a citizen. The new government has stated that they hope to change these rules, but how long it will take remains to be seen! Without a change, I will have to wait until at least 2018.

Update – The rules changed in October 2017 and I applied to be a Canadian citizen. Permanent Residents now need to live in Canada for three years of the last five to be able to apply for citizenship.

My Canadian immigration timeline

December 2011 – Arrived in Canada on my first one year long working holiday permit

December 2012 – Activated my second one year long working holiday permit

March 2013 – Applied for Permanent Residency via common law sponsorship

January 2014 – First stage approved, received work permit

February  2014 – Went to the UK for two week holiday

February 2014 – Decision Made on second stage (approval, yay!)

March 2014 – Notified of six month landing wait in Vancouver

April 2014 – Landed in Vancouver, less than a week after sending letter to office

August 2014 – Received Permanent Residency Card

May 2015 – Applied for replacement PR Card

June 2016 – Received replacement PR Card in Vancouver after interview

October 2017 – Applied for Canadian citizenship

desolation sound jr gemma curme islands


One half of a Canadian/British couple currently living in Penticton, British Columbia. Gemma is happiest with a paddle in her hand, on the trail or planning the next big adventure.


  1. Hi,

    I just wondered if you had gotten round to writing a post about the application process yet?

    I am about to start and need as much help as possible


  2. Hi! I am in a similar situation… My boyfriend is from UK and I am Canadian. He has been here for a year and a half on the IEC visa. My question is does he/did you need to get a Canadian police check when applying for PR?

    • Gemma
      Gemma Reply

      Hi Kelsey,

      Your British boyfriend does not need to get a Canadian police check unless specifically asked. CIC do their own checks but may request one if further info is needed.

  3. Hi, I really enjoyed reading your experiences! Thank you!
    I myself have recently linked my common law inland application to my cic account. I am currently on a working holiday visa, which will expire in august. My question is will i be able to leave to return to the uk for a period of 8 days?
    Thank you

    • Gemma
      Gemma Reply

      I’m glad you found the post helpful. Leaving while having n inland application is a bit of a grey area to be honest. I was comfortable doing it as I had a valid work permit at the time and it was only for a very short amount of time. The border officers however do reserve the right to refuse you entry so it always carries a small risk.

  4. Hi,

    Your post is the most helpful one I found online. Anyway, I still have few questions though. My boyfriend and I are planning to file a common law sponsorship. I am the one in charge of getting all the requirements together. I was just wondering:

    1. aside from the birth certificate that was not listed on the requirements but apparently is part of the requirements, do we also need to get a police clearance for both the applicant and the sponsor?

    2. The open work permit for inland applicants is only extended until December 21, 2017. Do you think it’s fine if we file it before the 21st without the first approval yet?

    Thank you so much, Gemma. I hope you can still respond to my questions and probably we could email each other if you have time. Thank you! 🙂

    • Gemma
      Gemma Reply

      Hi Sen!

      1. I’m not sure what you mean by the birth certificate reference (sponsors must show proof of PR or citizenship status as per the checklist, a birth certificate is an easy way to do the latter for those born in Canada) but police certs are just needed for the applicant, not the sponsor.
      2. Yes, I would file your application and work permit app at the same time.

      I hope this helps! Good luck with your application 🙂

  5. Thanks a lot, Gemma, your blogs are so helpful.

    How long did you hear back from CIC since you first file your application?

    Similar to your situation, I am recently on my working holiday in Vancouver AND I applied for Inland spouse sponsorship PR around May 2017.

    • Gemma
      Gemma Reply

      You’re welcome, Chi! I’m glad this post was helpful. I actually heard back from CIC super quickly because I missed a signature on my work permit application. Oops. Aside from that, I didn’t hear anything until a few months later when they sent me a letter about implied status while waiting for my work permit.

  6. So my partner and I applied under the common law status with me being the dependent. On the cic website it states that she got approved for the PR does that mean I got it too?

    • Gemma
      Gemma Reply

      It sounds like you are applying for PR via the skilled route (not common law/spousal sponsorship) Tar? If so and you included your partner on your application, yes I believe she would be approved at the same time.

  7. Craig Banks Reply

    Hey Gemma,

    I know this was written two years ago, so just checking you are still receiving emails before I write a big long essay about your process!


    • Gemma
      Gemma Reply

      Hi Craig,

      Yep, this is an active website and as such, I receive emails 🙂

Write A Comment